Friday, June 08, 2007

Doing the 9 to 5, then flying

Newark across the Meadowlands was hazy this morning, foreshadowing the heat and humidity forecast for today. For that reason -- and the fact that I was wearing pants and dragging a suitcase to work -- made me glad I was on a train at 8 a.m. and on my way to work.

Having the schedule I do -- varying, some nights, some weekends -- is nice when I want to spend a nice day outside or wear shorts to work on a hot, muggy day. But because we have to fly to Norfolk and drive to the Outer Banks tonight, I got the day shift. And that's what had me on the 7:53 Main Line to Hoboken, transferring at Secaucus, and arriving at Penn Station at 8:30.

The day's gone fast and they're even letting me out early -- I'll pretty much post this, shut down, and head out -- so it will be a nice, leisurely commute from the city to Newark Airport. The train may be crowded, but at least I don't have to worry about finding a seat (I've been sitting all day) or rush to make a flight. We take off at 9:15, so we should be able to sit down for a decent -- if overpriced -- dinner, and if I can get an hour or 45 minutes of sleep on the plane, I'll be good for the 90-minute or two-our drive down to Kitty Hawk.

Matt's wedding is on the beach tomorrow evening. Here's hoping the ocean breezes are blowing, that the sky is blue and a few hours in a tux doesn't cause any of us to pass out. And life at home is starting to settle itself out. We're more at home there now, so maybe I'll find myself more inclined to post something new more than every three weeks.

No comments: