- A man -- out-of-work, struggling actor? -- dressed up in a white jumpsuit and Elvis wig, with wings on his back, handing out free red carnations to women entering Chelsea Market on 9th Avenue.
- A woman crossing 9th Avenue with a bouquet of flowers and a "Happy Valentine's Day" balloon dropping her receipt in the crosswalk. No love for the environment, I guess.
- A man causing a scene at the corner of 8th Avenue and 15th Street with a profanity-laced tirade aimed at a woman. It was physical, too. If she tried to walk away, he grabbed her and pushed her up against the wall of the building. Anyone who passed the corner on either side of 15th turned to look, and as I was passing on the opposite side of the street, I had to step around a woman who was calling the police on her cell phone. As I waited for my lunch at Swich, I saw the couple turn the corner and enter the apartment building together at the corner of 8th and 15th.
- A man with an actual heart-shaped box of candy.
- A co-worker writing out a valentine to his wife on the computer.
- Various men and women carrying bouquets or single flowers on the subways and trains.
- A woman at the Secaucus station writing out a card.
Lou Gehrig in Asbury Park
4 years ago