Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Ethan Hawke is taller than I thought

Having gotten into the city with extra time before work yesterday, I took my time on the long walk along the block to work to notice the parking situations. Cleaning from 8:30 to 10 a.m. on one side of the block on Mondays and Thursdays and on the other side on Tuesdays and Fridays. Next to our building, there's no parking until 6 p.m. on weekdays. It's going to be tougher for me to drive in these days and find convenient, nearby parking, now that I know the police are tight with enforcing the No Standing zone along the south side of the building now that the scaffolding has been removed and the signs are more apparent.

So by taking that extra time to stake out some possible parking locations, I only got a glimpse of Ethan Hawke from behind, at a distance of half a block, when I turned the corner and ran into a coworker also on his way in. With sunglasses on, we didn't recognize one another right away and he was staring off at Hawke walking away down the street, pointing the actor out to me.

"The tall one?" I asked, indicating the one man whose head rose above those around him.

"Yep," my coworker replied. "I always freeze when I run into celebrities. I don't know if I should be calling my friends or not."

I'd always thought Hawke was about 5-foot-8 or 5-9, but he's easily the 5-10 that his IMDB bio says he is (who uses half-inch measurements once you get out of fifth grade anyway?).

No comments: